Head of SEO
This job is no longer accepting applications.
FutureLearn is a leading social learning platform formed in December 2012 by The Open University and is now jointly owned by The Open University and The SEEK Group. FutureLearn has over 14 million people signed up worldwide. FutureLearn uses design, technology and partnerships to create enjoyable, credible and flexible short online courses, ExpertTracks and microcredentials, as well as undergraduate and postgraduate degrees that improve working lives. It partners with over a quarter of the world’s top universities, as well as organisations such as Accenture, the British Council, CIPD, Raspberry Pi and Health Education England (HEE). It’s also involved in government-backed initiatives to address skills gaps such as The Institute of Coding and the National Centre for Computing Education.
FutureLearners live and breathe the company values and have a strong connection with our purpose, to transform access to education. We offer lots of flexibility and a cool work environment. At FutureLearn, we look after each other.
ABOUT THE ROLE
This is an opportunity to lead a busy SEO team in a growing company and industry, and to shape a UK industry leader in the online learning space. The role sits within the Marketing team, reporting in to the Marketing Director.
You will build out the SEO strategy, working closely with Product teams and the rest of the Marketing team, to drive high quality organic traffic and purchases across our diverse product portfolio. You will take responsibility for growing SEO rankings and traffic, and expanding within the UK and internationally.
We’re looking for someone with both specific SEO expertise and overall digital marketing experience to understand how SEO fits into the overall marketing strategy, and how to drive better SEO through cross-channel collaboration. You’ll be highly analytical, with a strong commercial acumen, and confident driving projects from conception through to implementation and reporting. We’re looking for someone who wants to make an impact on overall company performance, is comfortable leading a team, and who considers SEO as a holistic activity.
- Owning and developing organic search in the UK and internationally to grow ranking, traffic, and sales.
- Managing the internal SEO team and external agencies to work towards a cohesive SEO strategy.
- Ensuring that SEO opportunities are maximised, aligned, and activated in line with business needs via a robust and evolving SEO strategy.
- Promoting SEO across the business, collaborating across different teams, and ensuring that SEO has a strong presence across all relevant business activities.
- Collaborating with the Product teams to add SEO work to the roadmap and ensure that other work is completed in the best manner for strong SEO performance.
- Evolving SEO content across the site to update existing content and grow both timely and evergreen content and improve rankings.
- Identifying new ranking and traffic opportunities and adding these to the overall SEO strategy.
- Analysing competitor performance to identify new SEO opportunities.
- Maintaining SEO leadership in the UK and growing Share of Search both in the UK and internationally.
- Reporting on channel and campaign performance to build actionable narratives for short and long term opportunities.
- At least 5 years experience with a focus on SEO.
- General digital marketing experience for a holistic view of how channels should work together, particularly including affiliates and PPC.
- Experience across a variety of industries, ideally including eCommerce and tech.
- Strong data fluency and an understanding of how SEO work pays back to GMV/profit.
- A portfolio of SEO wins and growth, demonstrating an ability to grow the channel for mature websites.
- A growth mindset and ability to collaborate across a variety of teams and business functions.
- Strong communication skills and the ability to tell a story through data to explain SEO value.
- Good time management and prioritisation skills.
- Problem solving skills and the ability to work around obstacles, tight timeframes, and technical difficulties.
- Good relationship management - especially the ability to build good working relationships remotely.
- Positive leadership skills to drive projects, maintain team cohesion, and take a central role in the marketing leadership team.
- A good understanding of WordPress.
● Competitive salary based on experience and qualification
● 28 days holiday (plus 8 days public holiday)
● Buy & sell up to 5 days holiday
● Charity day (volunteer for a charity of your choice)
● Cycle to work scheme, and showers & secure bike parking in the office
● Season Ticket loan
● Flexible working environment/hours
● Pension (4% employer / employee contribution)
● OU Staff Fee Course Waiver Programme
● Great coffee, teas, fruit and daily breakfast (once remote working is over)
● Personal training budget
FutureLearn is a leading social learning platform with over 16 million users globally. FutureLearn uses design, technology and partnerships to create enjoyable, credible and flexible short online courses, microcredentials, as well as undergraduate and postgraduate degrees, with a strong social learning USP. It partners with over a quarter of the world’s top universities, as well as organisations such as Accenture, the British Council, Raspberry Pi and Health Education England. It’s also involved in government-backed initiatives to address skills gaps such as The Institute of Coding and the National Centre for Computing Education.
FutureLearners live and breathe the company values and have a strong connection with our purpose, to transform access to education. We offer lots of flexibility, competitive benefits and a cool work environment. At FutureLearn, we look after each other.
Please use our online form by pressing 'Apply for this job' below, including your CV and a cover letter telling us why you'd like to come work with us.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you require any reasonable adjustments or alterations to be made, to support you through the recruitment process.
We can't wait to meet you!
We value all the great benefits that diversity brings and encourage everyone to bring their whole self at work, regardless of gender, religion, ethnicity, sexual orientation, age or disability.
We encourage freelancers and people who have been made redundant as a result of COVID-19 to apply for opportunities at FutureLearn. We believe that in these difficult times, good employers have to rise to the occasion and play their part in the community. At FutureLearn, we take care of each other.
Your application has been successfully submitted.