Audience Engagement Editor
This job is no longer accepting applications.
The Narwhal is looking for someone eager to find creative ways to forge and strengthen connections with our growing community of readers and members
Location: Anywhere in Canada
Hours: Full time (willing to consider reduced week for right candidate)
Type: Permanent position
Deadline: Jan. 13, 2022
The Narwhal is an award-winning online magazine that publishes visually stunning, in-depth and investigative journalism about Canada’s natural world.
Think of us as part newsroom, part non-profit and part tech start-up. As a non-profit, reader-funded news organization, our goal isn’t to sell advertising or to please corporate bigwigs — it’s to bring high-quality, evidence-based news and analysis to the surface for all Canadians. We’re leading a revolution in public-interest journalism that is reinvigorating the relationship between readers and the reporters who hustle on their behalf — and we want you to join us.
As our Audience Engagement Editor, you’ll get the rare opportunity to be part of a team producing in-depth journalism about Canada’s natural world. You’ll most likely work remotely (because narwhals eschew captivity), but you’ll receive plenty of virtual slaps on the back and motivational gifs from our team.
Our business model relies upon converting readers into paying monthly members. The Audience Engagement Editor will play a crucial role in attracting new audiences, deepening our engagement with them and growing our membership program.
We are seeking an accomplished digital strategist with a vision for how to expand our readership and membership. The right candidate probably dreams about conversion rates and reads Nieman Lab and the Membership Puzzle Project for fun.
The storytellers in any society hold tremendous power. At The Narwhal, we recognize that this power represents both a privilege and a responsibility and we aim to use this power for the public good. We recognize that environmental journalism must be grounded in respect for Indigenous Knowledge and Indigenous Rights. The successful candidate should be able to demonstrate awareness and a complex understanding of Indigenous issues.
- Spearhead efforts to help us understand and expand our readership on social platforms and increase our journalism’s impact
- Attract and acquire new audiences and deepen engagement with them
- Grow our newsletter subscription list
- Work with our Director of Audience to develop and implement social media strategy
- Manage our Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts, with an eagerness to experiment and find creative ways to reach audiences on those and other emerging platforms
- Lead and execute our weekend content strategy and promotion
- Seek out opportunities to better understand our readers and the communities we cover, through surveys, callouts and other means, and analyze responses for actionable insights
- Help execute digital advertising strategy
- Moderate comments on website and social media
- Identify opportunities to create on- and off-platform content that broadens the reach and impact of The Narwhal’s journalism
- Write, produce and help develop newsletter products
- Act as a point-of-contact for those seeking information via email and social media direct messages
- Use analytics to inform social media strategy
Knowledge, skills and abilities required
- At least three years of experience working in a professional newsroom as an audience engagement editor, social media producer, editor, community manager or similar position
- A track record of successfully managing social media accounts
- Basic graphic design skills, with an eye toward Instagram promotion
- Passion for audience engagement on social and other platforms
- Familiarity with tools such as Creator Studio, CrowdTangle and MailChimp
- Understanding of journalism membership models
- Must be detail-oriented and organized, and demonstrate excellent writing and editing skills, including a firm grasp of CP Style
- Ability to work independently
- Willingness to work some hours on weekends
Desired skills and experience
- Experience running digital advertising campaigns, including on Facebook
- Familiarity with Google Analytics
- Experience with search engine optimization in a newsroom environment
- Copy editing experience
What we offer
- Group health benefits after three months
- Professional development opportunities
- A flexible workplace with a vibrant, collaborative culture
- Four weeks vacation to start
Please don’t be discouraged from applying if you do not possess the precise combination of all of the skills, attributes, qualifications and experience listed above.
To apply, please send a cover letter, résumé and up to three work samples or links to email@example.com by Jan. 13, 2022, at the latest. Please put “Audience engagement editor” in the subject line.
Applicants must be eligible to work in Canada. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted further. No calls please. We anticipate beginning the interview process in January.
The Narwhal is working to build an inclusive and equitable team that reflects the communities we serve. We encourage applications from communities traditionally underrepresented in this field.
Your application has been successfully submitted.